Durham has made a name for itself in the food world, being home to some of the best restaurants in the South. And playing host to internationally renowned events such as the Full Frame Film Festival and American Dance Festival has helped it put its mark on the art community as well. So shopping may not always be the first thing that comes to mind when planning a visit to Durham. But at our Durham bed and breakfast we know that the Bull City has something for everyone, so here’s a list of some of our favorite places to shop!
- Just in case you get too full enjoying all the best restaurants in Durham, you’ve also got some great place to find the perfect edible souvenir to bring home with you like Sam’s Quik Shop and Bottle Shop and their awe-inducing arrays of beer. With everything from local growlers to rare imports this is THE place to shop for a beer-lover. And it doesn’t hurt that you can get a pint to sip while you’re shopping!
- If you’re more of a wine person than a beer person don’t leave town without checking out the free tastings (Fridays and Saturdays) and well curated wine selection at Cave Taureau.
Whether you’re looking for something tasty for yourself or someone special you’ll want to stop by Parker and Otis where you’ll find a variety of specialty foods, gourmet candies, wine and beer, as well as cookbooks and kitchen supplies.
- If a souvenir for the kitchen won’t do, head over to Morgan Imports, right next door to Parker and Otis and full of wonderful items for the home including furniture, art, and stationary!
- Bookworms will feel at home at The Regulator, a beloved bookstore on Ninth Street across from Duke’s Campus. Another downtown option is, Letters, a used book with a great selection of rare books.
- And what would shopping be without a little time in the dressing room? If your looking for a selection of one-of-a-kind wardrobe additions make time to visit Jo’s Boutique on Broad, Magpie, and Vert & Vogue. With the quality and variety of designs at these boutiques you may need an extra suitcase to bring all those great finds home. And if you’re in the mood for something vintage, swing by pb Buttermilk’s to find that must have piece that really makes you stand out.
Gloria & Phil Teber Your Innkeeper and Chef at the Arrowhead Inn, Durham, NC